At 8:33 pm on Sunday October 28th:
From: Gary L. Derr
To: UVM Community
Re: Hurricane Sandy Update
The latest forecast from the National Weather Service station in Burlington is calling for powerful wind gusts between 5:00 p.m. and midnight on Monday, October 29, 2012. Winds are expected to gust over 40 mph after 5:00 p.m. and could gust as high as 60 mph in the late evening hours until midnight. Winds should subside by daybreak on Tuesday, October 30, 2012.
Based on this forecast, UVM’s Emergency Operations Group is urging people to remain indoors as much as possible during this period. The combination of saturated ground conditions and strong winds will make trees particularly vulnerable to coming down. Driving and walking on campus during these hours is discouraged.
As a result of the remnants from Hurricane Sandy the following steps are being taken:
- All classes, activities, and events will be cancelled beginning at 4:00 p.m. Monday, October 29, 2012. Offices will remain open until 4:30 p.m.
- The University will remain officially open.
- Employees scheduled to work Monday evening should report to work. Evening employees are encouraged to remain indoors as much as possible.
- Campus shuttle buses will run until 8:00 p.m. and will resume as scheduled on Tuesday, October 30, 2012. At this time the CCTA buses are planning to run as scheduled, but you are encouraged to check their website for any updates – http://www.cctaride.org/
- The Bailey-Howe Library and the Athletic Complex will be closed at 5:00 p.m. Monday, October 29th The Davis Center will close at 8:00 p.m.
- All University Dinning Services will be available until 8:00 p.m. All late night facilities will be closed on Monday evening.
All classes and events will resume as scheduled on Tuesday, October 30, 2012.
We will continue to monitor the storm closely and make changes in response to new forecast conditions as needed. For updated weather information, please check the following NWS website: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=VTZ005. Additional information is also available on the University’s Emergency Management website which is accessible from the UVM home page.
We encourage students, faculty and staff to take steps to ensure their safety by exercising reasonable precautions.